The ‘Gander is a Michigan-based newsroom of local editors and reporters with a modern take on sharing information and telling stories that matter to our community. Our stories are factual and focus on the people of Michigan. We deliver them to you on social media, on our website, and in newsletters delivered straight to your inbox.
The loss of local newspapers across the country has left too many people without credible information about important issues. In the absence of strong reporting, misinformation spreads. We’re dedicated to stopping misinformation from taking over our state.
Throughout our pages here, in our newsletters, and on our social media accounts, you’ll find stories that lift up the shared experience of living in Michigan, along with the facts you need to make good choices for yourself and for your family. If you see something you like, we invite you to share it.
We believe independent, fact-based journalism is key to informing Michigan—that’s why we place our values right here, up front, so that all readers can see why we do what we do.
At The ‘Gander, we believe in:
- Putting Michiganders at the heart of all our reporting. Because of that, many of our stories focus on efforts to strengthen communities, expand access to health care and child care, address the climate crisis, and reduce inequality in all forms.
- A living wage for a hard day’s work. We have seen our economy change dramatically over the years—and not always to the benefit of workers. More Michigan residents than ever require two or more jobs to make ends meet. We believe workers should have access to good information, and be rewarded for their labor with good wages and benefits—not lied to or pitted against each other by politicians or wealthy CEOs who don’t respect them.
- A quality education for all families. Children in Michigan and across the country deserve every opportunity to receive a quality education in safe, clean schools. Their classrooms should be free from political interference, their educators should be respected and well-paid, and their communities should be places where parents, students, and school staff work together to raise our future generations.
- A Michigan that’s representative of all citizens—not just a chosen few. Everyone’s experience matters here, regardless of whatever label society places upon us. We will not deny the history or the current events that show how people in some groups are targeted and hurt by policy decisions, simply for who they are. We’re committed to ensuring that everyone has access to the information they need to understand what’s at stake for them and to make the best decisions possible for their lives.
- A strong democracy. Access to the ballot box is essential for Michigan residents. .A strong electorate is an informed electorate, not one divided by fear and lies. A free press is only possible through democracy, so we will not take a “both sides” approach to those whose words or deeds are hostile to free, fair elections.
Launched in 2020, The ’Gander is dedicated to providing honest, relevant news for and about Michigan. We are extremely proud to call Michigan our home, and to do the reporting necessary to ensure that it continues to be a place where future Michiganders can thrive.
Social Media Manager
About Courier Newsroom
The “Gander is owned and operated by Courier Newsroom, a civic media company with 10 state-based newsrooms across the country. Our mission is to protect and strengthen our democracy through credible, fact-based journalism that seeks to create a more informed, engaged, and representative America.
We reach audiences who are not regularly engaging with civic information, and who are unlikely to subscribe to paywalled journalism. As part of that effort, we deliver much of our reporting on the social platforms our readers use most frequently.
Courier’s newsrooms practice independent, point-of-view journalism. Courier Newsroom is a public benefit corporation owned by Good Information Inc., and is supported by reader contributions, sponsors, philanthropic donations, and corporate underwriting. We maintain an editorial firewall between our newsrooms and underwriters, sponsors, and donors. We do not accept funding from any national or state political party, party committee, candidate, or campaign.