
Bill Pugliano/Getty Images
BY KYLE DAVIDSON, MICHIGAN ADVANCE
MICHIGAN—Following the Environmental Protection Agency’s decision to cancel funding for the federal Solar For All program, US Rep. Hillary Scholten (D-Grand Rapids) and her fellow Democratic House representatives are calling on EPA Administrator Lee Zeldin to reinstate more than $7 billion in terminated grants.
The Solar For All program was established under former President Joe Biden through funding in the Inflation Reduction Act. The effort was intended to help lower energy bills for low-income households by providing them with access to solar energy.
While Michigan was obligated $156 million for its own solar for all program, the One Big Beautiful Bill Act eliminated the federal Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund, which included Solar For All funding. Zeldin later announced the end of the program in a social media post, saying the agency no longer had the statutory authority to administer the program, nor the funds to keep it alive.
In the letter to Zeldin, Scholten, alongside Reps. Debbie Dingell (D-Ann Arbor), Kristen McDonald Rivet (D-Bay City), Haley Stevens (D-Birmingham), Rashida Tlaib (D-Detroit) and Shri Thanedar (D-Detroit) noted the program’s intent in lowering energy costs for families burdened by energy costs and its support for jobs in renewable energy.
“The Solar for All program is nowhere more important than in Michigan, where average residential electricity rates are among the highest in the Midwest and the nation.…With this federal investment, Michigan sought to reduce costs for an estimated 16,300 low-income households, providing an average benefit equivalent to a 20% reduction on residential electric bills, or around $400 per family per year,” the representatives wrote.
Without this funding, Michiganders could be saddled with increased energy costs and stifled economic development, they warned.
“The urgency and need for savings from Solar for All projects are clear. We stand ready to work with the EPA and the Trump Administration to reverse these terminations and ensure that Michiganders can benefit from lower utility costs, continued economic development, and heightened energy resilience,” the representatives wrote.
Michigan had already announced $13.9 million in awards to 13 pilot projects across the state, including projects in Berrien, Chippewa, Delta, Kent, Oakland, Ottawa, Washtenaw, Wayne and Wexford counties. The future of those projects remains uncertain, though Phil Roos, director of the Michigan Department of Environment Great Lakes and Energy, said the department is working with Attorney General Dana Nessel to determine the next steps.
EGLE’s Director of Communications, Dale George, told the Michigan Advance in an email Thursday that the department had notified staff and contractor groups to stop work on issuing awards and asked awardees to cease work on drafting grant agreements as EGLE consults with the attorney general.
READ MORE: Michigan leaders say Trump’s hatred of clean energy will hike utility bills, kill jobs
This coverage was republished from Michigan Advance pursuant to a Creative Commons license.

Great Lakes’ $7 billion fishing industry may get a reprieve from the great carp invasion after all
A stalemate between President Donald Trump and Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker that threatened a $1.2 billion plan to keep invasive carp from reaching the...

US Army engineers decide to fast-track Great Lakes tunnel permits under Trump energy emergency order
MICHIGAN—The US Army Corps of Engineers has decided to fast-track permits for building a protective tunnel around an aging Enbridge oil pipeline...

Tribal nations in Michigan withdraw from Line 5 tunnel project discussions
BY JON KING, MICHIGAN ADVANCE MICHIGAN—Six Michigan-based tribes have withdrawn from federal discussions over the proposed Line 5 oil pipeline...

Opinion: If you care about true energy independence, solar is the way forward
Solar power is the key to energy independence. Independence and freedom are bedrock principles of the United States. But for too long, we’ve relied...

Michigan’s dairy farm apprenticeships are on the federal chopping block—like this one for Spanish speakers
An estimated 80% of dairy workers speak Spanish. These apprenticeships were opening up career opportunities in rural Michigan—until Trump's federal...